Financial Options

Many women experiencing domestic violence and abuse believe – or have been told by the perpetrator – that there is nowhere for them to go. They may also believe that, if they leave, they will become homeless and have no income. This is not true, and if you need to get away to safety, there are a number of things that you are entitled to, including a basic income for yourself and your children. For information about your income entitlements, we recommend that you contact a domestic violence support service, such as DVAS or your Citizens Information Website

The Department of Social Protection through COMMUNITY WELFARE OFFICERS administers:

  • Supplementary welfare allowance
  • Rent supplement
  • Emergency payments

The Department of Social Protection also pay:

  • Lone parents payment
  • Children’s allowance
  • Unemployment benefit/assistance

From The Courts:

Making an application for a Maintenance Order may be important when applying to Dept. of Social and Family Affairs for One Parent Family Payment.